Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Boomerang


A castle from the train window.
August 17, 2015

This week has been a week incomparable to all the rest. This last week has been like the "Boomerang". A little explaining. This last week has been festivo in Pontevedra and along with any great festivo come carnival rides. There is one ride called the Boomerang that is like the pirate ship that swings back and forth except that you are strapped in and do full loops upside down. For PDay last week we went and rode on the Boomerang and it really is how our week went. First of all Victor. His baptism did not go through this week. We decided to take some more time before his baptism to make sure that he understands the covenant that he is making. Along with that decision came a lot of prayer and thought about him and what he most needs. We met with him everyday, to listen and try to bring the Spirit into his life, but with all that he needs more time. It was one of the hardest things I've had to do to tell him that we would have to wait because I love him but sometimes we must do hard things to help those we care about. So Victor will get baptized one day I have no doubt but that day will again come in the Lord's timing and not mine.

Second, on Friday we received a message from a recent convert family that they have decided to take a break to rethink the church. It was super sad because they had stopped coming to church because both parents work on Sundays and because of that they have been caught up in the world. But we had already set a lunch appointment to visit their branch mission leader and so afterwards went and stopped by their house. They weren't answering their phones or their door and so we went back to the car and wrote them a little note. As we were writing the dad came out and invited us up. We went and had a really great spiritual experience with them. Talking about some of the things that they are going through right now and how the Savior is always here for us no matter where we are in life or what we are going through. I know that really this is true that when we have great weeks or we have difficult weeks or days or hours or minutes Christ is there for us.

Third, I'm leaving Pontevedra. It is not a surprise but it feels like I just got here. I have grown to love the people here and they have really become my family away from home. I am grateful for the time that I have had to learn from and form lifelong relationships with the members and investigators here. I I have been served by and have tried to serve them with all my heart. I will miss them all. When we serve our fellow man we grow to love them. The same happens when we are served. But when we both try to serve each other we form relationships unforgettable. At this same time I am excited for another opportunity to form more relationships and get to know a new area. I am excited to be with my new companion,

Elder Peña. Change is always hard but it is also where we learn the most. I am excited to grow and to learn.

I love the work and I love being a missionary. I love the Lord and I love you all.

Love,
Elder Gustafson


No comments:

Post a Comment