Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Firehose is Back On

August 24, 2015
With Elder Pena


Just when I thought I had the mission thing figured out it got turned upside down and inside out. From a branch of 15-20 to a ward of 140, from a companion with an American background and members there whole lives to a companion from Peru who speaks only Spanish and is the only member of his family, from a tranquil city in northern Spain to a city just outside Madrid. We ain't in Kansas any more. And I love it all. It is great to be here and fun to be learning alongside Elder Peña who is a humble powerful teacher who loves all. I thought after getting adjusted to the mission field the Firehose of learning and adjusting and transitioning wouldn't come back on. But it's back on and I get to learn and experience more. I am grateful for this experience that I am having because it is helping me to learn and grow.

BYU Basketball Team
Lesson 1 from Torrejón. One night this last week we had the privilege of going to a BYU basketball game in the center of Madrid. It was a great experience and really fun to take our recent convert Paul to. There were probably 50+ missionaries there from throughout Madrid. Lesson learned, every person is on a different level of learning and understanding and it doesn't really matter how much time we have in the mission. I loved being able to see some of my missionary heroes there that have taught me so much and really I could see why they were different, they did what was right even in a crowd. In this they followed the example of Jesus Christ. I have been reading and studying about the life of Jesus Christ in my studies and never did he let the will of anyone but the Father influence His decisions. This is lesson 1 from Torrejón stand for the right in any situation.

Lesson 2 the Lord has a plan for me even when I don't know it. I love it here in Torrejón and the members here are great. I am going to be honest though and say it's been a bumpy transition. It was hard to leave my zone of comfort and friends and family in Pontevedra, to come to an area that I don't know but I know that the Lord has a plan for me and that as I do my best to work hard, and pray for his help he will always be there for me. He is molding me and changing me in ways that I never thought possible. I know that He is my Master and that as I obey His will for me He will create me to be the person that I can best be. I know that to be true for all of us as well.

I love you all and pray for you,
Elder Gustafson




No comments:

Post a Comment